Before we discuss what a New York Car Accident Attorney can do for you, we must first take a step back and discuss the accident itself. Hopefully you have not been seriously injured, but if you have we will help you in any way we can.
Car transportation is one of the most common modes of transportation. For that reason, it has claimed many lives and has been the cause of many personal injuries. Additional traffic rules have lead to a reasonable reduction in the number of lives that are due to roadway accidents. This does not mean that they are a thing of the past. Many could have actually been avoided. Among the most common causes of car accidents are the following:
- Driving under the influence. This is where a person drives an automobile under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The said drugs can be either medicinal or otherwise. In this case, the driver is not focused and they can do all sort of wrong things including failure to observe traffic rules and/or speeding, thereby endangering their lives as well as those of the people around them, be it pedestrians or passengers.
- Speeding. Driving at speeds in excess of the posted speed limit can be considered negligent behavior.
- Not obeying the rules of the road. Failure to stop at a stop sign or traffic light as well as failure to yield fall under this category.
- Distractions while driving. To date, mobile phones are one of the major causes of distraction to drivers. Drivers receive calls while driving, try to send and receive text messages and are caused to lose control of the vehicle or fail to follow traffic laws because their minds are elsewhere. This often causes injury or even death to passengers, other drivers and pedestrians.
To avoid the above from causing accidents ensure that you adhere to the set traffic rules, you avoid any substances that can alter the proper functioning of the brain during and/or few hours before driving and lastly, leave at home anything that can cause any kind of distraction while driving. This will help save lives.
In the event that you are a victim of an automotive accident, you should seek a car accident or a personal injury lawyer who will help figure out the factors underlying the occurrence and present a legal claim on your behalf.
Normally, the attorney will follow these steps:
- They will first investigate the case and seek professional assistance in this stage. This assistance could be from police officers and other relevant bodies concerned with figuring out of the case details.
- If it is found that you were hurt in the accident as a result of the negligence of another party, then you have a chance to sue the responsible party for damages. With regards to negligence, it means any act that was carried out carelessly and/or ignorantly by the responsible party. This ranges from drunk driving to failure to observing traffic rules, as mentioned in the opening of this article.
- If you win this case, then you will be compensated by the guilty party(ies) or their insurance company. Compensation can be for payment of hospital bills and for loss of income because you couldn’t work.
If you are injured in an automobile accident, here is what you should do:
- Before anything else, seek medical attention. Call paramedics so that they can ensure that you are safe. Assuming you are home when you read this, contact your doctor and make an appointment as soon as he can see you. Time is of the essence here because the New York Statute of Limitations clock is ticking for you to file your claim.
- Check for details that can be of help to make a legal claim. This kind of information includes the registration numbers of the cars involved in the accident. Write down any details about the accident you can remember. The more you can help your own cause the better.
- Seek assistance from an automobile attorney who will help you make the legal claim. Of interest is that this claim should be made within 30 days of the incident (many state’s Statute of Limitations). After this you will either settle or go to trial.
A personal injury attorney who specializes in car accidents will be of help to you in the following ways:
- They will act as your legal representative both in court if your case gets that far, and out of court. Their role will be to defend you and see to it that you win the case.
- An accident lawyer will explain to you in detail any legal document you receive in the process. Legal language proves to be very difficult for the average person to understand. With an attorney who specializes in car accident, personal injury cases, this is simplified and you will be able to make more informed decisions.
The above are just a few of the things that a car accident lawyer will do for you. You can be saved from all the financial losses by hiring one if you are a victim of a car accident.